1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is doing an e-bike?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SunnyJim, Aug 8, 2020.

1. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Yes all included

2. SunnyJim

Terry
    I was reading all about the debate about front versus rear, there are pros and con's to both. I could have done either way , but for my first install I flipped the dice and went front

3. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Terry I’ve got 7 sprockets on the rear of mine so 21 all up with the rear wheel motor

4. saabman

Sunny Jim how’s the front wheel drive feel when I was looking for bits for mine I was worried it pull out from under me - like riding a Harley o_O

5. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of buying one but it will be already to go. We have 21 klms of walkway along the sea edge just two minutes away. With dicky knees I see this as a great option. The only thing holding me back is trying to decide whether to get another dog or the bike. :confused:

TeeBee likes this.
  6. saabman

The bike will eat less than a dog Ruby and probably cost less as well :)

Wayne murray likes this.
  7. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Get a postie bike and you may gain a dog as well:rolleyes:o_O;)

Jethro, Wattie, ruby6689 and 3 others like this.
  8. SunnyJim

Bernie
    Yes good point, this is what the debate is all about.
    Pros and cons .
    They say try to balance the weight.
    This option 250 watts is really the minimum power and basic entry point so I don't think you will get yourself into too much trouble.

Battery in the middle, a bum sitting way back and the motor up front is nicely balanced.

They say if you put the battery way back and choose a big rear hub 750 watt motor you might find it hard to stop doing wheel stands!

At 250 watts I think either front or back is ok but I chose front because the install just looked simpler

9. saabman

Fair enough I went for the rear motor and went a little over board in the power department ( for off road use only ) 1.5kw with the batteries on the rack it never feels like it’s lifting - I think the speed controller Ramps up in speed so it doesn’t lift - if your off the bike and hit the throttle it flips rather easily :oops:. I’ve got another 250w rear motor I’m thinking of removing the gear set and lacing it into a 20” front wheel for my recumbent just to give it a bit of pep up the hills ;)

cbus likes this.
  10. SunnyJim

Wow
    1500 watts is a biggie

11. saabman

If your going to do it you might as well over do it :cool:

12. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

It's nothing to do with cost. If I get a bike and a dog I would have leave the dog behind and I would feel guilty. This is the first time in my life that I have been without a dog, life is easier but also lonelier. Maybe an electric trike could be an option ;)

13. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I doubt an E-bike will quiver with excitement when it sees you.......or bark to alert you, when strangers enter the property. ;)

14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Here you go Lorraine from trike-bike.com.au ..... alternative would be to get a pedal trike then adopt an e-bike kit to it

[​IMG]

SunnyJim likes this.
  15. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

That is the best spot for the battery install, the seat actually has a pivot hinge to access the battery so it does tuck in well. I think I'd go with a rear wheel drive trike, although some sort of differential would probably be required as well.
    The main reason I don't like the front hub drive is the added weight makes pot holes rather a serious issue as well as gutter climbing, pulling up on the handlebars to reduce the weight or even lift the wheel slightly is virtually impossible with all that added weight.
    Something like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AKEZ-Sn...510368?hash=item217157f460:g:QnAAAOSw81pfEAwd would be great on he beach as well as the road/cycle track or a trike with a 250w in hub rear wheel drive in the fat tyres for both rear wheels would give it plenty of get up go and hill climb ability and keep you stable enough to walk the dog at the same time, or take the dog with you if it was a smaller breed ... although a big dog in a trailer would work as well.,trailer to the beach, run/ball throw on the beach, then trailer back home.
    You can get the correct type of electric hub motor to suit your needs wired into what ever rims you want by one of the better electric bike shops. Anywhere from power but not much speed to speed that needs a good pedal effort to get it going and maintain the higher speed. The higher the voltage, the greater the top end speed as well as the take off power, but avoid the 1000w or higher power output, they tear tyres to shreds in no time at all and require special tyres to start with so they don't tear out the sidewalls

T1 Terry

cbus likes this.