1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wombeyan Caves

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Live&Direc, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Live&Direc

Live&Direc Member

I'm not sure exactly where it was anymore, but we stopped a night at Wombeyan Caves off the road to Bathurst from Goulburn.

It was a steep, gravel road drive in, but when we got there the only others there were the park rangers, the caves and a couple of hundred kangaroos.

There's toilets, GREAT HOT showers, fridges, freezers, an oven and cooktops, indoor fireplace and rec-room, fire-pits, outoor barbecues, provided for the usual national park fee.

There's also guided as well as self-guided (I liked that) tours of the various caves, which are fantastic!

...I think there's a road to sydney's west as well. Check your touring maps!

[​IMG]

2. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

The hammock strung in the trees...is that from the bus? A nice little accessory me thinks!

3. Live&Direc

Live&Direc Member

Nah, between the trees. It does hang off the bullbar though!

This might be a good place for a national meet, actually. Given all the facilities, and inland of Sydney being kinda good for everyone (not from the west!)

4. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Nah sorry, I meant is it your hammock - do you cart it round with you or was it someone else's that you were parked near? Assuming it is yours...good idea!!!

5. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Wombeyan Caves is a beautiful spot. Coming from Sydney, you take a right after Mittagong but it's a steep, windy, gravel road in, with lots of big "gibbers" and plenty of blind bends. I love the drive in but it's probably actually quicker and easier driving down to Goulburn, then heading back to Taralga and coming in that way.

On the road in from Mittagong there is a pretty good campsite near the river.

Baz

6. Live&Direc

Live&Direc Member

It sure is my hammock! It lives in the gas-cupboard, you never know when you'll need one!

My mate was sleeping in it up at Byron, until one morning a massive (?3m. long) Lace Monitor wandered through the campground, and under the hammock. He put the tent up the next night :)

7. kenhell

kenhell New Member

That camp on the river is the Wollondilly River Station and its a privately owned campground.It covers both sides of the river and then some as you head towards the caves.Animal friendly ,dogs & horses allowed plus great camp sites along river and the creek area.Check their website for booking details.
    Ken.

8. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

That's the one. :)

Baz

9. Cai

Cai New Member

Ahh i love that camp ground many happy time there,
    the drive in is really nice too!

10. Natwest

Natwest Member

Ahhhh...Wombeyan Caves. I havent been there for 20 years. Such a lovely place to go. I dont remember all those fantastic facilities though. :) You guys are so lucky to have such awesome camping grounds like that.

Cheers - Nathan

11. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

just remember to take your jumper if you go anytime from easter to october:cry:
    freezning at night!!!

12. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

It's been years since we've been there too, much put it on the calendar for a road trip sometime this year...........Lorraine

13. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

mmmmm caves, thats added to my list of travel spots.

14. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Oh and I forgot to mention to look out for the wombats too, they are a force not to be taken lightly down that way.

15. kombion63

kombion63 New Member

sounds like a good destination for a kombi club outing,,, my bus would love the dirt road from mittagong

16. njg02

njg02 Active Member

Went to Wombeyan recently. Great spot. We had great weather. Travelled from the 'Gong to Goulburn then in via Taralga. Went home up the dirt to Mittagong. Just took it real easy and had a good drive. Done two cave tours, one self guided and the other with a guide. Walked down to the gorge. Not a great deal of water there. There was another young couple who waded up river. We also walked to the Wombeyan falls. Nice bush walk. The falls had the tiniest of trickles as though someone had left the tap to drip. The walk went in a sort of circulat track and we came back through an old Marble quarry. No wombats seen. Lots of 'roos and a couple of inquisitive goanna's. Ice creams from the shop came in handy too.

Neil

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The other one is clothing optional!

I've used it's 4WD ground when working for 4WD magazines.

The latest Tiguan ad uses the Wombeyan Caves Road.

18. Wodewick

Wodewick New Member

Was going to camp there last week on our way back from Katoomba but we were in the middle of those total fire ban days, and so decided to head for the coast instead. Sorry to miss out on the chance to camp in there. Great advantage of the kombi camper, you can change plans at the drop of a hat. Rod.