1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won’t idle

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Marksy, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Marksy

Marksy New Member

Hi Guys
    Bit of a dilemma with Kate, she was running perfect yesterday, today she won’t idle? Have checked all breathers,saw the thread about checking solenoids so did that but heard no clicks noticed the 2 at the front have a bit of movement, is that normal? Have had quotes of $900 to rebuild but not able to do yet, any and all feedback is appreciated
    Cheers

2. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

with the ignition on you should be able to hear the solenoids click (very faint) as you take the wires off and back on...if not, check the wire is connected to the coil via the choke

...movement? if they aren't screwed in properly they won't earth and won't work

3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Also check the rubber elbows at the bottom of the manifolds. One falls off or cracks and you have that effect.

Adrian

4. Marksy

Marksy New Member

4722063C-EA4E-4B5C-B716-E424CDDBDC10.jpeg 82D4D9CF-1732-4F2D-AB4D-7A6647D58993.jpeg I Cheers mordred checked the elbows and there both fine mate, tintop I still couldn’t here any clicks I’m putting 2 photos up ( hopefully) of the left carb and at the top of solenoid you should be able to see the difference in the gap when I move it, are they screwed on from the inside ? Cheers

5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

that's your automatic choke...the idle cutoff jets (solenoids) are around the side of the carby - (follow the wire)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

7. leithbro

leithbro Member

Check your fuel lines as well - where they connect to the carb is generally a brass pressed tube (on a 34 PICT 3 anyway). If this has come loose it will be sucking air there, and can lead to hosing fuel around your engine bay. The not idling was the symptom which saved me years ago.

8. Marksy

Marksy New Member

Cool thanks so much for that I’ll have a look tomorrow at the right things forgive my stupidity

9. Marksy

Marksy New Member

Ok so I had a suss after work today at the right things , thanks tintop, I can hear a faint click on the solenoid and all the elbows and breathers seem fine nothing loose on carbs thanks leithbro, so I’m stumped as to my next step but looking at fuel filter it looks pretty crap and leaks a tad, could this add to the problem???
    Cheers guys

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Anything that isn't up to scratch should be replaced including fuel lines.
    Have a look at ratwell link above and try adjusting idle circuit.
    If idle can be raised but still running rough pull a plug lead at a time to check for similar power loss on each cylinder.
    If idle circuit won't adjust go thru procedure to che k for blockages.
    Check the basics.
    Good spark. Timing
    Fuel adjustments . idle circuit.

Assume its ok on main jets?
    Just idle circuit out ?

Barry likes this.
  11. Marksy

Marksy New Member

Cool thanks heaps for the link cbus , will have a crack tomorrow, mate when you say take a lead off to check things am I doing that with engine running? Sorry if that’s a silly question but I’m new to it all but keen to learn as much as possible, thanks again

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep.
    Did you have lack of power in low revs plus no idle ?
    If do possibly points closed up.
    Check points and timing.

Check idle circuit adjustments first.
    If they give no adjustment then they need fixing first.
    Wind idle screw on LH carb idle circuit up to hold an idle if poss.
    Then balance mixture then back to idle reset.

If idling and still sounds like a misfire....
    With engine running...
    Pull one spark plug lead at a time and listen ti how much engine revs drop.
    Replace lead and repeat on next plug, etc
    Engine may stop. If so , replace lead and start again, continue.
    Usualy if it dies it means the one you have removed is a good cylinder and the loss of it plus sick cylinder is why engine died.

Pull by insulator cap. Not HT lead.

If you get less rev drop on one cylinder then it shows that cylinder is producing less power.
    Possibly indicated a bad lead, spark plug, valves need adjusting.?

You need air filter box removed to do this.
    Leave the short 6" hose that runs from air box horn on lhs carb attached to idle circuit while running without filter box.
    Helps idle circuit .

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  13. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

everything cbus said....however, considering it was running okay the day before it's possible you've got some dirt into the idling circuit.

before you start turning screws (as per ratwell link) - as a first step, I'd unscrew the idle cutoff jet (solenoid) and blow through the carby via the hole you took it out of. also check the jet itself for dirt (you can open it by applying power (and earth).

and yeah, crap, leaking filter :eek:

cbus likes this.
  14. Marksy

Marksy New Member

Awesome thank you both so much, only have a couple of jobs at one panel shop today so hopefully home early to have a crack, will let you know how I get on
    Cheers

15. leithbro

leithbro Member

See if you can locate the brake booster hose as well (it's around a 13mm hose from memory on the type 1 which runs off the left intake manifold and through the tinware near the fuel line - not sure where it is on the type 4's). If you kink it off and the revs pick up it would indicate a vac leak in the booster or lines.

16. Marksy

Marksy New Member

Ok had a look at Kate’s idling problem, thanks heaps for all your feed back, I’ve got her idling again I took of solenoid and gave it a clean and blew through the hole it came out of, cheers tintop, I also took each lead of as well , cheers cbus, the only one that reved higher was #3 all rest stayed the same don’t have any power issues when driving but still need a bit of a tune up , start saving for carby rebuild, thanks to you all much appreciated
    Marksy

Mordred likes this.