1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work Starts on Margo!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Mark77, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Mark77

Mark77 Member

So with less than a week of ownership work has commenced on the newly christened Margo. The plan is:

1) remove rust
    2) repaint (colour uncertain but leaning toward keeping original
    3) Rebuild the engine, with a warm over play any other required mechanical work, including a suspension rebuild.
    4) new cabinets and trim.

It all sounds expensive, fortunately I have some required skills and a lot of contacts. Timeframe, I am thinking two years, but we will see.

starting photos

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2018
    Jethro, David H and Elsie 76 like this.
  2. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Weekend One has consisted of a serious pressure wash underneath, careful examination of the floor and substructure on the hoist (with positive results) then starting to strip and remove years of bad mods and dirt, also thankfully that bull bar.

Some photos of end of week one (note the purple interior, brush painted with unknown paint and bound to be a problem later)

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2018
  3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Mine is nearly at year 5

4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Looks pretty solid Mark. You're certainly getting stuck into cleaning up Margo. I see what you mean about the purple paint etc. Definitely a girl;).
    Good fortune with the resto.
    Cheers

5. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

2 years lol .

At least you have started

I started when my eldest son was born - he turned 3 last week - doesn’t help he has been joined by two younger brothers - I’m keeping my fingers crossed the extra man Power will come in handy to get the job finished

OSF, oldman, melissa and 2 others like this.
  6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Good solid start,keep the progress coming I've had my car at the painters for two years,:rolleyes:a lot comes into it,how bad the body is or the extent you take the rebuild. All the best with it.

7. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Thanks, I understand the 2 year time frame could be optimistic! My wife tried to introduce a 1 year dead line but I negotiated to two. Truth is we will see what happens. I have a couple of advantages, I have been about twenty years out of the trade but I am actually a qualified spray painter, that also comes with some panel beating ability. Surely it’s just like riding a bike! I also am lucky enough to have a great work space and spend my current work time surrounded by mechanics.

Welding might need some practice but if all else fails I will seek professional help. The body I think is far from the worst I have seen, quite a number of issues around the nose panel but the floor is good, I think the roof reasonable (looking from inside so far) so I think reasonably lucky! I’ll keep you posted.

Mark

David H, KahunaKombi and oldman like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

You would need to pull the headlining off as a minimum

better still - you should separate pop top base from roof.

the rust just loves getting in under that roof

Syncro27 likes this.
  9. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Barry, yes planning to pull the pop top off, just haven’t got that far yet. By the way any idea on the weight of the pop top? Been thinking through the logistics of lifting it off. Also wondering if it’s possible to seperate the two parts in situ to lower the weight.

10. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

I just recently removed the Poptop from our Kombi, the individual parts were not all the heavy.

I was able to separate the 2 parts in-situ.
    Firstly I removed the side support brackets by drilling out the rusted rivets, unbolting the rear scissor support and then sliding the top section off over the front of the cab and carefully lower onto the ground. The base section again was lowered over the front cab and fairly easy to move around by hand..

I am now trying to deciding if to repaint or leave as is..?
    The Fibreglass Top appears to be in an ok condition, a few small cracks here and there but no major issues and I hope a good clean and some fibreglass restore and a polish will have it looking good.

Any suggestions on painting or not painting most welcome?

Thanks

11. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Hi Ian and Shelly! Thanks for the info, that clearly supports my thoughts leaning toward disassembling the pop too to make it easier to remove. I’m thinking I will effect any required repairs then repaint the pop top. Done properly this should last many years. I will be interested to know how you proceed and how it comes out.

Mark

12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice start Mark :D ..... hope floor on drivers side is as solid as the LHS looks ;)

(PS. edited your posts so pictures were full size images so easier for everyone to view)

13. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Mark,
    If you're going to put that pop top back on make sure the rails that sit in the gutter are removed first;). Old Boys were removed in '83 & he's got not gutter rust issues:D.
    Cheers

14. Mark77

Mark77 Member

David, yes thanks I have read enough here to realise that is the done thing so I will have a look at it.

Mark

15. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

Hi Mark and Dave...Thanks for the info I was not aware of removing the fibreglass rails ?
    Should I sand / grind the edges / rails off so that rain water runs straight into the roof top metal gutter?

How much of the rail should be removed ?

Thanks

Ian

16. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Time for an update, following my second weekend at work on the lovely Margo. Sadly last week end we were away so nothing happened, but the weekend all was go.

Attached Files:

17. Mark77

Mark77 Member

I continue to feel pretty lucky, having seen photos here of other people’s projects and the amount of rust they found I feel, while I certainly have some issues, things could be far worse.

Attached Files:

18. Mark77

Mark77 Member

The roof is now ready to come off and has been separated from the body, the dash and engine still on the to do list! Big weekend next week! Troubling me are the seats, somewhere along the line they have been replaced by unknown buckets. Certainly there was no engineer involved! I would like to return it to original seats, however there is no sign of the origanal runners and original seats seem hard to find. If anyone has any ideas on finding original seats I am happy to listen.

19. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

Lucky Phil may still have some T3 seats that are close enough, and can supply runners.
    Saved us!

20. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Nozza, thanks, I know this is possibly a dumb question from the new guy, but who is lucky Phil?