1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woz and Alice's 69 camper project

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Van Housing, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Alice and I were lucky enough to receive a tip of a 69 lowlight camper from a kind fellow KC member, so we went for a walk to check it out (yes, it was in our neighbourhood!) ... and we were very excited with the find! :) It has been with its present owners for nearly 40 years, and they bought it from the original owner when it was little more than 12 months old - it has never been repainted or refitted (although, as a former panel, it has had extra windows cut in). The interior is in great condition for its age, and the exterior is straight (albeit with a couple of spots of rust) .... so we bought it on the spot.

It won't be home until next week but we were so excited, we had to share it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Van Housing

3. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Woo hoo! :D

Are you going to get rid of the window and do it up as a panel? That would be very cool.

4. vwmad

vwmad New Member

Wow nice find woz,are you going to restore it as a camper or put it back to a panel???? cheers shane.

5. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

O man, thats great. Love the fit out. Looks very straight.

Nice work Woz and Alice.

Somewhat familiar to my recent lowlight find.

Awesome

6. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

A very nice score guys...looks pretty complete,its even got a dickie seat.
    How's your head Alice?

7. Royce

Royce Active Member

Wow you two, that makes three now...In suburban Melbourne, now that's committment...All power to you. Love the shot with Alice doing her best Rocky impersonation

8. Van Housing

I definitely would like to! :) (but it is also up to Alice - the window on the driver's side is above the sink so it is practical).

The rust looks worse than (I think) it is ... there are a couple of places that will require some welding (base of driver's side windscreen, both doglegs, rear of one gutter), but mostly the rust is only on the surface ... underneath and inside is clean and solid. I think it is in better condition than my 72 when I bought it (although Alice is not so sure) - eg no rust in either the floor or battery tray, or the sills!

9. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Nice one, Woz & Alice.:D
    Looks pretty decent in the photos, I'd be tempted to leave it as it is. Especially if the window was cut into it when new, it was pretty common as I remember from the late 60's & early 70's as panels were a lot cheaper than a bus.

10. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Well done woz and alice! I agree with Don - a bit of provenance and an artefact of a time when 'that's what was done'. If it had been fiddled with over the last 40 years after that, different story. But this is a slice of history!

It'd be like putting brasso on a 1930 penny, or taking off the fabricbacked lino from the federation cedar table. The latter I learned the hard way!

11. Van Housing

It would certainly be easier and cheaper than replacing it! Yeah Alice and I were discussing it, but couldn't decide - but "if in doubt then leave - you can always change your mind later" makes some sense.

Alice and I agree that we would prefer to keep it in the original paint if we can - a bit of ankor wax and a few spots of welding and (apart from some engine tweaking, replacement seals and lights etc) it would be just-about ready for registration. :)

12. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Conhrats guys...so happy for you both...a lovely find :)
    so how many is that now....hope you have room in your yard adopting all these cars :lol:

13. Van Housing

They are going to show us some photos of the kombi from shortly after they bought it and their many trips, when we return .... I am looking forward to checking them out! :)

14. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Wow Guys good score

15. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support everyone....I can't believe he's talked me into buying another one :lol:
    We'll have to get rid of the astra so the dogs have some back yard left to play in.
    The people who are selling it are lovely...they have owned it since about 1970.
    Thanks sheriff for telling us about it...very, very, grateful :heart:

And as you can see my 'camping injury' is getting better ;)

16. whoaNellie

whoaNellie New Member

wow guys what a great find :) gotta be happy with that!

17. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Well done Woz and bruiser.

Now you have a real lowlight!

The fact it is a panel is great and the tin top camper is even better.

Great score.

Now the fun and expensive part - getting it on the road.

Cheers,

18. Van Housing

Yep! :( Yesterday the glass was half-full - today, it is half-empty!

19. Wodewick

Wodewick New Member

Amazing what is hidden away in your own neighbourhood. Terrific find Woz and Alice. It oozes with character. Rod.

20. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

I think I can see another great camper in the making. I agree it would be a real testement to the hardiness of Kombis to leave it as a survivor!