1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yippee im on the KC. Now i need some wheels...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by sonya Joy, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I have seen plenty.
    A lot either don’t admit it or they don’t take them out in anything heavier than a sprinkle.

Anyone who has replaced front 1/4 window rubbers and says they are perfect is either
    * a super hero
    * telling lies

sonya Joy likes this.
  2. sonya Joy

sonya Joy Member

Haha cheers, I must say it was nice sleeping in her in the rain (till my pillow got wet) lol

3. sonya Joy

sonya Joy Member

Any opinions on the electronic rust inverters? I've heard they work!! o_O

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

5. sonya Joy

sonya Joy Member

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Assuming that you slept with your head to the rear of the kombi, the leak may be something as simple as a mis-aligned tailgate....
    Two bolts on each side and you can adjust it to close tighter (on the seal) or otherwise.
    I had to do mine after I put a new seal in it a few years ago.......all good now .
    Cheers,
    Mark

sonya Joy likes this.
  7. sonya Joy

sonya Joy Member

Hmmm that's worths looking at. Thankyou!! At the front windscreen the first time it leaked the water was in compartment under dash and last night it was in top of dash could that be something else too (cos seals look good)

8. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Windows shouldn't leak that's what the rubber is preventing and to hold the glass in the frame area. As mentioned in heavy rain or gusty conditions they can leak. Like you washing your car the pressure from the hose at certain angles it makes the doors and windows leak, same with rain and the condition of that rain.
    It can be cause from a few different things,one is that the car has had body work done,either from rust repairs or an accident. Second is from poor fitting quality or fitting rubbers.Third is badly shaped (fitting of glass) glass.
    You can take the window out and refit,could work. It may also pay to get another brand of window rubber.Problem there is you don't know what brand you have. I fitted a windscreen recently it was VEWIB brand rubber,in one corner the rubber kept on tucking in one corner as either the body is slightly out of shape or the rubber lip edge is to short.The windscreen came straight out replaced the rubber with West Coast Metric,which has a larger lip on the outside edge of the rubber making it look like it has sealed better.(no water test yet).
    The other thing can be done more as a last resort is window sealant (not silicone) or window mastic,which is a black substance that seals windows. that doesn't set, it remains pliable.
    Also as mentioned above doors can be adjusted in to make them slightly tighter to the body,giving a better seal. Make sure all your door rubbers have no splits or bits missing to allow water in,same with windows.
    I've got one of mine that leaks with heavy rain in one corner,it's been out and in a few times.Haven't stopped it yet,I've know brought new windscreen and rubber (windscreen has a bullseye in it)and when I get around to it I'll replace both. If you have a swimming pool in your van that's a leak that you shouldn't have. As it isn't good for you electrics under your dash.
    Also the way the front door window rubbers are with the wind up window you can't stop water getting.They do have drain holes and a plastic sheet inside your door should be there to pool all the water into the channel to drain out the bottom of the door.

TeeBee, David H and sonya Joy like this.
  9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Leaks just a ba*tard on these buses. If it doesn't grip it's (sadly) time to take out & reseat. Sometimes it's the way it was done & sometimes it's the rubber that was used
    Lot of views on this process that I'll share later;).
    Cheers
    Okay the side leaks on sliders may be the inability of the drainage holes to get rid of water. Just too much. Bit of a bugger for first camp:(.
    Try some WD40 or RP7 around edges of window frames. I know the litterati will poo poo this but ...hey I'm bold!
    Cheers

10. sonya Joy

sonya Joy Member

So after further inspection I've found big gap between rubber seal and body at top of slider where water getting in. Can anyone recommend a window fitter on the gold coast they know of please?!

David H likes this.
  11. sonya Joy

sonya Joy Member

Can anyone advise where they got their stickers for kombi name? Its time!!! Lol

12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

At Old Bar Sticker Hut but most sign shops should be able to do this for you;). Got a spare last year should I ever need a new screen:(. Maybe come to Old Bar Beach Festival this year & get 2? A few travel down from the Gold Coast.
    Cheers

13. sonya Joy

sonya Joy Member

Interested in anyone's opinion on this please!!!

I just called premier windscreens vw salvage and bus stop both recommend. They've quoted $110 per glass to come out and refit windscreen and side window which is cool. But the girl has said chances are the windscreen will break so he will have to bring another with him at an extra cost of $365. I said can I have most experienced guy, well he's away 2 weeks but will tell me the same thing? Getting windscreen out without breaking it exceedingly difficult. Really???

14. sonya Joy

sonya Joy Member

Had a kombi for 5 weeks today. It really is quite the emotional rollercoaster!

TeeBee and DrowningBitByBit like this.
  15. sonya Joy

sonya Joy Member

Wouldn't change it for the world tho lol!

TeeBee likes this.
  16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

RnR charge for both is lineball.
    Chances of breaking a front laminated windscreen is a possibility as the do crack easily.
    Chances of breaking it ( as long as no existing chips or cracks) by cutting existing rubber is almost zilch.
    Cost of good rubber approx $60.

I sacrifice the rubbers.
    But my windscreen guys can also rnr without cutting rubber.

Last windscreen cost me about$ 220 from memory.
    Last year.

rstucke likes this.
  17. sonya Joy

sonya Joy Member

I'd rather take it to someone who's got the confidence to say they can randr without breaking it! $220 fair bit cheaper than $365! Maybe they break them for the $145 mark up! Lol

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

It's a fair heads up.
    They have to warn of the possibility and possibility is real.
    But full price on the replacement after charging for RnR?

19. sonya Joy

sonya Joy Member

Thats a good point! Thanks I'm taking it into them this week so they can water/air test discuss my options

David H likes this.